Friday 28 August 2009

A Look at the Mediterranean Sea

On Thursday we packed the car up once again and set off for another big drive. This time to the very south of France. It took most of the day and we didn't even take 1 photo - so it must not have been very interesting! We were staying in Aix-en-Provence for the next 2 nights. When we arrived here it was HOT, so hot that when I went to check in to our hotel the receptionist was even commenting on how hot it was and that it's not normally quite this hot. He also began to tell me (his English was pretty good, but limited) that he recognised my name.... and, yes that's right, that he had a call from the police! As soon as I heard police I was like 'about a computer?' he said 'yes'. I was like 'really?' and he was like 'yes!' He then began to tell me something about it which I can't remember because I think I was still saying - 'really, you mean they have it?' I was in shock and couldn't believe what I was hearing. I nearly started to cry on the poor guy and when I told him how happy I was he said 'I happy to make you so happy!' The news soon spread out to the car and everyone looked like they had been given some sort of instant happy pill!!!!! It was amazing, our prayers had been answered in the way we wanted them to be. Someone had found our papers in the pocket of the computer bag, with a booking confirmation for the Aix-en Provence Adagio Aparthotel on the 23rd July!
Unfortunately Mick had to drive 4 hours back in the direction we just came from to collect it (and then another 4 hours back!), but he didn't seem to care - that's Mick. He is always happy to do what ever it is that needs to be done. So after 5 days - we had it back... along with our itinerary so we could be sure on where we were going next! We had dinner and went to bed, and for the first time in 5 days I wasn't laying in bed wondering where my computer was!

The next day was Friday, which meant we had been here for 1 week already. Our time was going so quickly! We decided we couldn't come this far south and not see Nice, so that's where we headed. It was about an hour away and we were all getting sick of the car but this little one did a good job! Here she is drinking her apple juice like a real pro!




The main thing I knew about Nice, apart from it being a very popular tourist destination is that Angelina Jolie gave birth to her twin girls here! I have since learnt that Nice is actually the largest resort on the Mediterranean Coast and the 5th biggest city in France. Nice was founded by the Greeks and colonized by the Romans and has the most amazing blue water I have ever seen.







We parked and went and checked out this amazing looking beach for ourselves! It's a pebble beach, which is fine if you prepare and bring beach shoes, but if not - it's quite hard on your feet. Mick and I have seen lots of these beaches but never really sat on one. It wasn't too bad, but sand really is the way to go! Looks good in the photos though!!


{See the difference in the colour of the sky to the colour of the water - it really was unbelievable! Everyone was so brown too, it looks like they just sit out here all day - probably do - lucky things!}







{Mick had to have a swim in the Mediterranean Sea!}



{Mick swimming!}


{Lani being brave}


{Dressed and ready to go}


{Emily holding up the umbrella for me - did I mention how hot it was!?!}

{This is more the life.... a little secluded area, they even had little grass mats to walk on all the way to the water!!}


And that was what we saw of Nice!

8 comments:

Cullis Family said...

That is awesome about the computer. I can't believe how blue the sea is. Love the new header pic, gorgeous!!

Aimee said...

ahhh, that water looks sooo cool...yeah that's the life all right!
glad you shared the computer story, what a relief you have it back- good on mick for driving all the way back to get it :)
p.s. love the cow with a bell photo...that's something you dont see around here!

maree said...

The water is beautiful makes you want to go and have a swim. Was Mick the only brave one swimming?

Blanche said...

Nice is nice! That water is amazing.

Bride said...

beautiful pictures, the water is amazing! Glad you got your comp back, what a huge relief!!!

The Kings said...

What an amazing beach! Not sure if I would like the pebbles though, but it looks beautiful.

Elle said...

Ive read and looked at this post like 5 times but I still havent commented lol.... Everytime I see emily with that drink I crave it...! Mick lookes like he's having fun siwmming and emi looks SO cute with that brolly!

Nettie's Blog said...

sooo nice in Nice i reckon...i am putting that place on my long long list of places i would like to visit...(perhaps in the next life)...you guys are real world trippers...i am loving the travel diary...it could never be too long for me...you make it so interesting.....love to you all
Nettiexxxx

Because everyday is different and we can't remember them all, I thought I had better start writing them down. Welcome to life in the Challis home - where everyday is different!