Thursday 7 January 2010

An Austrian Horse and Carriage Ride

Another market just around the corner from where we were staying was the Christkindlmarket. We decided to buy a Christmas snow globe here - it's pretty nice and will be a reminder of our (pre)Christmas in Austria. We also bought a little bell.... which was a bit random, but we like it! The atmosphere around these markets was nice and there were always lots of people around, mainly drinking Gluhwein - a popular and traditional beverage (mulled wine) drunk at Christmas markets in German-speaking countries (but now served at lots of other European Christmas markets). It's a warm drink and is usually spiced with cinnamon, vanilla, cloves, citrus fruit and sugar. On our last night we tried some Kinder Punch - which is the non- alcoholic version. It was really nice actually but very sweet.




Don't these trees look lovely. The best thing about Christmas in the Northern Hemisphere is that it gets dark early - so you get to see the Christmas lights from about 4pm (and they are actually quite effective for most of the day too).


Emily wearing my shoes...




The local music making santa... he seemed to be around every corner you went! Danke!


I'm not real keen on those photos where you hold the camera up and click - cause I always look weird in them, but it's a bit sad that Mick and I never get to have our photo together - so we did it.... here we are in Innsbruck... together... freezing our butts off!




On our last morning we decided to fill in the time with a horse and carriage ride. It was really good and our guide was fantastic - although a little hard to understand at times! He told us heaps about Innsbruck and each of the buildings and how old things were and what they were used for. It was a really nice way to finish our holiday.







11 comments:

Ange Carmichael said...

Awesome! Nice pic of you and Mick, i find they look a little weird too, thats why u have to train Lani up, as it is nice to have just a few pics of just the 2 of you!! I cant believe you're still blogging shouldn't you be packing...actually I better run gotta drop kids off to friends places etc.

Ange Carmichael said...

oh but I don't think your pic looks weird, you did good hehe ;)

Hannah Challis said...

Actually Ange... funny you say that - Lani loves taking photos so we should get her started! I actually got her to film me the other day riding the sled in the snow and she did a great job.... told me to put my feet up and all!!!!! lol

P.S I'm blogging because it's keeping me sane - I have been stuck at home all week cleaning and packing pretty much and it's really getting to me..... poor kids are so bored, but what can you do! (luckily the snow was a bit of a break!) See you soon!

maree said...

Everything looks so much fun. Lights look great on the trees.

Poppa said...

Nice couple photo! No fisheye effect.
You have to trust a nice looking local or tourist to take a picture of you two. we've found it best to pick a tourist with a camera similar to yours.
Is everything packed yet?

The Kings said...

I don't like taking those pics either as I always look like I'm trying to get away from the camera, but the one you got is great!! You should do more of them.
The lights look beautiful. We had to wait till 9.30 pm to see the lights here and by then we had some tired boys!

Aimee said...

So glad you got a pic of you and mick...yeah, i agree, my face always looks weird in those close ups too. I like the one of you guys- no weirdness there, it's a goody! :)
I love those lit up trees, they look so effective.
and how nice to end with a horse and carriage ride :)

Elle said...

you and mick look weird in that photo!! Ok just kidding, I only said that because everyone else said you don't and I wanted to be different!!!

The horse and carriage ride looks way fun and the christmas lights look amazing!! WOO!

See you SOON!

lauracritchfield said...

I can't believe you will be back in Tassy soon...unbelievable really...
Anyway that looks pretty fun relaly - can you remember the time Dean and Claire had a nice horse and cart ride..lol

Kate Jury said...

That Tree looks awesome!. Are you guys back yet

Carli said...

I love reading your winter adventures Hannah - you're going to have to print off a few blog books for the girls to keep forever :)

Because everyday is different and we can't remember them all, I thought I had better start writing them down. Welcome to life in the Challis home - where everyday is different!