Thursday 8 October 2009

Pirate Day at Ramscombe Woods

The Primary had a Pirate Activity on Saturday 5th September. The girls were soooo excited about it and were counting down the days all week. I wasn't actually looking all that forward to it because I had no idea how I was going to dress them up as pirates! (And it's not like we have a lot of old clothes or costumes packed away here, like we probably would at home.) It wasn't until Friday, the day before that I finally decided to have a go. I had no idea really, but decided a 99p white pillow case from Sainsbury's would be a good start! We found some pirate belts at a party shop, which I thought would work well and headed home to see what I could come up with. As it all started coming together I got quite excited, and even ended up colouring the left over pillowcase ends with red texta to make stripes for bandannas!
It ended up being a little chilly and drizzly on the day so they wore white tops underneath - which meant you couldn't really see the cool shape of the tops I made, but it was all good!
The girls can be funny about dressing up - especially Lani, sometimes she will love it and get right into it, but other times she can get a bit self conscious and not want to do it, she was a little 'iffy' at first about dressing up as a pirate but I showed her a few pictures of 'girl pirates' and she seemed to come right. I was very excited when they woke up Saturday morning and couldn't wait to get their costumes on! I ducked down to Poundland late Friday afternoon and picked up a few gold chains and things for them - so they were pretty happy and couldn't wait to get to the Pirate Party!


Lani was especially excited to be wearing a pair of Daddy's socks pulled right up - because she didn't have any black trousers, so we had to use her tights and some long socks!

{"Arrrr......"}

{"Ahoy matey"}

{Pirates eat cake don't they?}

We had a lovely day, and the activity was really well organised with lots of different things to do - treasure hunts, walk the plank, hat making, puzzle games and all sorts or piratey things. Unfortunately not too many other people dressed up as pirates, a few did but there were more that didn't - luckily the girls didn't seem to care - they were just happy to be there as pirates and play with their friends... or fight with them!


{If this isn't a pirate attacking face - then I don't know what is!}



{This is Jake, they love Jakey and always have a smile when he is around!}




When we got home, Leilani said that she had the best time ever walking around in the creek, they thought it was just fantastic being allowed to walk through the water!


{This is Lucas, Jake's younger brother, he spent ages playing in the creek and was happy when Lani and Em joined him.}








What a fun pirate day! It was definitely worth driving around for an hour trying to find the place!!! (But that's another story!! All I will say is that I really didn't think we were going to get there and with the phone out of range I was so worried I was going to have to head back home with 2 very sad pirates! So thankful we made it... with 2 very happy pirates!)

7 comments:

Debbie said...

They do look like happy pirates. I'm glad you found the place it would have been bad to miss out with such cute pirates. I like the pic of them playing in the creek, holding hands, but they are all good pics.

Debbie said...

Cant believe you coloured the stripes in yourself. Don't they have stripey material there? They look good though.

Elle said...

They looks so awesome!!! And very happy.. and lani's prate fighting face is awesome!!

maree said...

This looks like a fun day. we had some pirates go to the library the other week. not quite as much fun as youre had.

Poppa said...

Argh Argh!! Obviously some criminal element in the family tree that comes out here. What a fabulous job Han and the girls looked so cute (and fearsome.)

Blanche said...

I love the last couple of pics. very cute pirates indeed.

Spider, Muff, Char & Mollie said...

the girls look gr8 han, good job with their costumes!!

Because everyday is different and we can't remember them all, I thought I had better start writing them down. Welcome to life in the Challis home - where everyday is different!