Wednesday 25 November 2009

Avoiding Halloween

Yes..... I know I am so behind with my blogging - and it's not ideal, and I am sad that I have missed blogging about a lot of the day-to-day things that have been happening here - but it can't be helped I guess - we can only do what we can do! Anyway.... I was trying to avoid Halloween this year. It's not that I don't like it, but I feel it's 'just another thing to spend money on.'
There were so many halloween things out in the shops here - a lot of people seem to celebrate it here and it seems to be getting bigger each year.

So anyway - I was going to ignore halloween, but we had some friends invite us over for a small party and to help hand out the treats to the 'trick or treaters,' so we ended up celebrating halloween after all, and it was really fun. The girls had a really really fun night and were just so excited to go to their 'first halloween party'!!!!!

I whipped up another last minute costume (this time on the day though and not the day before) for the girls - this time Minnie Mouse costumes - a Red Minnie and a Pink Minnie!


The girls couldn't wait to get into their costumes and head out to the halloween party. They were a little sad that Daddy had to work and couldn't come but were very excited to tell him all about it the next day!

So we took our Mars Bar Slice (mmmm.... so good... and a great way to end our 30 days of no chocolate!!) and off we went!


Showing us their tails!

{Emily with Adelphi. She was very excited to find that Mickey Mouse was at the party too! Lucky Em took her Minnie to play with Baby Hannah's Mickey!}


{My good friend Janet and her daughter Hannah with her Mickey Mouse!}

{Leilani wrapping Adelphi up as a mummy!}

{Emily wrapping Sophia up as a mummy!}

It was a really fun night and great to experience a 'real halloween.' We had quite a few 'trick or treaters' come to the door and we also got to see lots of fireworks. It was bonfire night here a few days after halloween, so crackers and fireworks were being sold in all the shops - which meant throughout October and November we saw and heard quite a few. (Just the general public letting them off in their backyards!) It was the next door neighbours we saw from Janets!

On the way home though, there was a huge display going off at a local club, so the girls and I pulled over and watched them. Leilani and Emily thought they were just fantastic and talked about the fireworks for a couple of weeks. 'I have never seen fireworks like that before' Emily said. 'That was the best night ever' I think Lani said!!

Here are a couple of shots I got of the fireworks....






I have lots of memories of 'bonfire night/cracker night as a kid. We had so much fun together. And I'm sure everyone has a story of when some one nearly lost an ear or an arm. It was sad when they stopped selling fireworks to the general public, and bonfire night no longer happened each year, but I do think fireworks are pretty dangerous things and I'm kinda glad people can't just go around letting them off whenever and wherever they want (without a permit) because it can get a little crazy!

4 comments:

Spider, Muff, Char & Mollie said...

your mars bar slice looks very yummy han! Looked like a gr8 night, hope you all had lots of fun!

Debbie said...

They must have forgotten about the fireworks at Disneyland already! I spose it's probably more exciting when you arn't expecting them though.

Poppa said...

The girls look gorgeous. I love the costumes of Minnie. Great creativity Han. Poppa would have been in his element with all the fireworks ....he loves them. At one stage we had our own welfare supply!!!!
If you go to the London Temple Blog on our blog there are a good few pics of the girls. I thought they were cute. Gail

Ange Carmichael said...

Thanks for that...now I WANT mars bar slice!

Because everyday is different and we can't remember them all, I thought I had better start writing them down. Welcome to life in the Challis home - where everyday is different!