Thursday 18 September 2008

Changes

We have had lots of changes in our house this week, things have been quite different! Mick has been home every night by 6.30pm - that in itself means that he is here to have dinner with us, read stories and help put the kids to bed! He had to work on the weekend, so he had Monday off - yes that's right OFF!! We spent the day at home sorting a few things out and it was GREAT! My list of things to do got crossed off at double speed - I would be in the laundry doing washing and come out and the washing up would be done, kitchen cleaned and vacuum cleaner going! It was fantastic! 
Some other changes have not been so good - since we got home Emily has totally changed her sleeping routine... she won't go in her cot and screams if you even talk about putting her to bed. She has been the perfect sleeper for over a year now, we would take her in her room, day or night, lay her in her cot and say 'goodnight' and you wouldn't hear a word from her. Now it's just a nightmare. Every night for the last week, except maybe 2, she has fallen asleep on the couch or in our bed and not before 8.30pm (usual bedtime 7pm) once she is fast asleep we carry her to her bed - and thankfully she still sleeps all night. But it is just horrible trying to get her to sleep, and such a stressful way to end the day. We don't really know what to do though because obviously she can't keep staying up so late and sleeping on the couch. But she will scream her head off - I mean really scream, and get all hot and worked up if you put her in her cot. Anyone have any ideas?? The only thing we can think of is moving her to a bed? Anyway... I guess she has been a pretty good sleeper up until now so maybe I shouldn't complain! But if you have some advice, we would love to hear it!
And one more good change this week is that Leilani has finally over come one of her fears... which has been quite a stress for me, so things are very good there! It has sure been a big week of changes in the Challis home this week - some good, some bad! 

7 comments:

Stephen and Chernoa said...

It must be so great to have Mick home. Maybe Emily doesnt want to go to sleep because Daddy is home and she feels like she would be missing out if she went to bed....With all my experience with my kids:)

lauracritchfield said...

maybe you should try moving the cot into a different area of the room - and make it really exciting for her to get into bed...another suggestion would be to move her cot out into the lounge room..LOL. I don't know - I don't have kids...but I just thought I would add a comment - also what was Lani's fear??

Debbie said...

I have a s suggestion: While Emily isn't sleeping so good, don't ask me to babysit!
this was ELLE

The Kings said...

Does she just have the one sleep per day? If she's having two maybe she's not that tired and needs to cut out a sleep? Maybe a bed might be the next step. She could then pick out a cover and it would be exciting for her.
Unfortunately though I have just learnt with my boys that sometimes I just have to let them scream it out, no matter how long it is and within a week or so they are back to being good at going to bed. It sucks though.

Nikki said...

I think changing to a bed might be a good idea too...
Also, a bed doesn't have that "trapped" feeling like a cot does. But hey, I would have NO IDEA because Livy has never been a good sleeper...but she has always loved her bed!!
Goodluck with it all. xxx

Carli said...

A Dad at home at night is a GREAT thing to be happy about!!

ali b said...

well han, that sucks!! my only suggestion is to maybe get mick to put her to bed, and just leave her there, go in after 10 mins or how long you think, calm her down, then do the same again. i reckon (cos i'm such an expert...) she'll get the idea. not sure about a bed, then she can just get out herself...! there's one thing to be grateful about though, she's still sleeping through. jsut think, she could be going off to bed like a good little girl, then waking up numerous times through the night screaming.....

Because everyday is different and we can't remember them all, I thought I had better start writing them down. Welcome to life in the Challis home - where everyday is different!