Wednesday 29 April 2009

The Garden and Estate at Montacute

We saw Montacute House in the 1995 film 'Sense and Sensibility' a few months ago so we added it to our list of things to see. It is only about a half hour drive away so last Monday after a busy morning of cleaning the house and getting a few odd jobs done we headed up there for the afternoon. (Mick was on days off after a weekend shift - life is so different with no studying to do - it's fantastic).
It was another National Trust place so we decided to join. Just need to visit about 2 more sites and then they will all be free! 

I have been missing my wisteria, so it was nice to see this one, I bet it looks great when the leaves come out. 




We got just inside the gates and Leilani decides to tell us where we need to go if we decide we need to use the bathroom!


I guess soon we won't be seeing any more tulips... these ones were huge.


Even if you have seen Sense and Sensibility you might not recognise this....



... but you should recognise this....


This road is pretty much all we came to see - isn't it perfect! Oh and the hedge, but boy was there a lot more to see than just this road. (By the way - if you haven't seen Sense and Sensibility then you should - it's quite good - the Kate Winslet one).
It was a beautiful day for wandering around the gardens, so relaxing and rejuvenating. 





So relaxing I even did some exercise! By the way, for anyone that is interested Leilani runs like Deano! Yes, like Dean - you can see it in this picture - she is getting very fast too! 






The house is surrounded by acres of beautiful gardens, paddocks and public parklands.




This is Emily giving me a piggy back ride, she was so proud of herself!



"Through this wide opening gate, none come too early, none return too late".



This hedge also featured in the film, and got it's impressive shape in the winter of 1947 when a heavy snow storm left snow settling here for a few weeks - when it finally melted the hedge was left shaped like this - and has grown this way ever since!


The garden was just amazing, and around every corner you saw something even more amazing. It has been my favourite garden thus far! So much grass - I love it. 


The house provided a perfect backdrop for the garden, but it wasn't as impressive inside as I had hoped. It was certainly huge and all very interesting, and even has a collection of portraits on display on loan from the National Portrait Gallery - but it just didn't grab me like some of the others have. Maybe I just liked being out in the gardens watching the kids run free - showing their true colours!















The house was built in the last years of the 16th century by Sir Edward Phelips, he made his fortune as a blood sucking lawyer... oops I mean a lawyer! Montacute was to be the Phelips family home for more than 300 years. 

It seems a bit unbelievable to me but in 1929 Montacute was put up for sale and valued as 'scrap' at £5,882. In 1931, Ernest Cook (the grandson of Thomas Cook - you know...from Thomas Cook Travel) funded the purchase of Montacute by the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings. They then presented it to the National Trust, to safeguard it forever, for everyone.



10 comments:

Elle said...

It's weird that your running around with shorts an t.shirts coz it's getting really cold here. Emily and Lani look like they are loving it. I wonder what they'll think when you come back here and sit at home and don't go 'site seeing' hahaha

Debbie said...

Its funny how Lani is always performing for the camera and Emily is just in the back ground doing her thing. Those tulips do look huge. I guess this is probably the best time of year to be in England really, with all the gardens etc

The Kings said...

Wow - beautiful spot!! Great photos. Lani cracks me up with her posing.

lauracritchfield said...

It's nice to see the girls without their pink jackets on...ha ha. I am getting SOOOO excited about summer. I'm a little sad that I have to go to Tassy when it's so cold there and warm here....it sucks!!!! But anyway I love spring and summer time - it's great. You're hair doesn't look too bad - I was suprised to see you without your hat.

Hannah Challis said...

Glad you think my hairl looks okay Laura - cause I have actually had it done!!! lol But thanks!!!!
Well it doesn't look all that different - cause I just had it straightened up and re coloured.... so don't feel to bad!

Claire said...

I thought your hair looked a little blonder!!

I'm going to go re-hire that movie now, you've inspired me:) I do remember that road..!

Poppa said...

I love those old homes and vast grounds. They are just so full of history. You can close your eyes and see how it used to be in years gone by. We just don't have that wonderful legacy here... we are sooooo young a country. Keep those pics and commentary coming. Love you all, Gail

ali b said...

great photos han!

Nettie's Blog said...

Loved that movie...yes i recognised it straight away...how awesome to be there walking around those gardens...love those tulips...dont you think it is a shame that tulips dont have a fragrance???? sorry a bizzare thought i know.... but i think they would be so perfect then ....dont you???

Spider, Muff, Char & Mollie said...

Han loves these photo's, they are awesome, so pretty! The girls look gr8, having lots of fun!
Miss you all.......
xx

Because everyday is different and we can't remember them all, I thought I had better start writing them down. Welcome to life in the Challis home - where everyday is different!