Wednesday 26 November 2008

Love This Place

There are lots of things I LOVE about living in Tassie... but there are also a few things I can't stand.... and they mostly involve planes!!!
I think that it is ridiculous that they can charge you for excess baggage when you are leaving the state to catch an international flight... (or coming off an international flight trying to get home!!) It's not really like you have a choice!?! So frustrating... 
Anyway... the other thing isn't really the airlines fault... and I'm not really sure who we can blame... but this morning Mick and I got up at 4am to catch a 6am flight to Melbourne, once there we caught the sky bus into the city and got a bacon and egg McMuffin, which was close to the main highlight of the day for me!! Because nothing was open just yet we sat around doing some people watching until  the clock struck 10. It was then time for our appointment at the British Consul General - which involved placing our passports and visa applications under the hole on the counter, getting our fingers scanned (which is a little freaky) and a photo taken - all of which took no more than 3 minutes. (2 minutes for me was spent trying to figure out which was my right hand!!).  Then we were done, a ride on the tram and back on the sky bus ready to catch our 11.55am flight home. What a day... and I won't mention how much this little exercise cost because I would rather not think about it! Aaaagggghhhh!!
Our lives were made so so so much easier though because we didn't have to take  the kids and Ange kindly looked after them for us from Tuesday night until we got back today. THANK YOU SO MUCH!! Getting up at 4am is bad enough - without kids to get ready as well! I think Ange must be ready for Mum to come back now - with all the baby sitting she has been doing for us!! 

 It was such a beautiful day today too - and I was too tired to even enjoy it. Mick had to go straight to work when we got back so I picked the kids up and came home. Lani and I had a relaxing afternoon doing Christmas craft together while Emily slept. The countdown is on now until we get to put the Christmas tree up... I can't wait!! It's nearly as exciting as counting down the days until Christmas - those last few days of November!  Can't wait to see everyone's Christmas trees on their blogs!  
Oh.... and I forgot about the main highlight of the day for me... it was seeing the  Myer Windows... all decorated for Christmas! It was awesome. I was going to get some photos and video to show, but that didn't happen! I wished Leilani and Emily were there to have a look, it was pretty cool!  Still didn't make the trip worth it though - can't believe we had to go all the way to Melbourne just to get our fingers scanned and photos taken! Love this place!!

5 comments:

Ange Harriss said...

Well you really did have a busy day! I bet you are looking forward to your mum coming home! That will be nice. And you will get presents! HOPEFULLY! haha

Ange Carmichael said...

I really do enjoy having a house full of kids!! Well at least when they are not all mine tehe!
You left without the popcorn maker, bummer, we might have to keep it here for awhile :)

lauracritchfield said...

yes well I had to fly to Sydney to get my fingers scanned and it took more than 3 minutes so think yourself lucky that you were able to do it all in one day or it may have cost you more. Yes it does suck that Tassy is so limited when it comes to those kinds of things...but I guess if it wasn't like that it would be a lot more crowded..

Aimee said...

what a day!
well done on your win at Myer- that's awesome. I've never ever won anything, but I guess I'll keep living in hope.

Bride said...

wow, what a pain to have to fly over here Hannah, and such a pain we couldn't work out something with your luggage... I hope it all works out perfectly in the end!
Your myer voucher sounds like fun too!!!

Because everyday is different and we can't remember them all, I thought I had better start writing them down. Welcome to life in the Challis home - where everyday is different!