Thursday 28 May 2009

Running with Angels

My first 'me day' was spent reading this book... (I finished it a few days ago)

book cover

I'm so glad I read this book and  I would recommend it to anyone.  Pam has inspired me, and helped me to realise that we have the power to overcome anything.

The back of the book reads:

'On a beautiful April morning in 2001, Pamela Hansen decided to do something she hadn't done for a very long time. She decided to take a walk. Though fearful that she would not be able to take more than a few steps with her morbidly obese body, she was desperate to focus her attention on something other than the tragedies of her life - the death of an infant daughter, the cruel and debilitating autoimmune diseases that had attacked two other children, and finally the stillbirth of a son just a few weeks earlier.
That first walk, which lasted just ten minutes was the beginning of an amazing year-long journey that ultimately led to a 100-lb. weight loss and the fulfillment of Pamela's dream to run a marathon.
... She candidly describes the pain of living life as an obese person and the hopelessness that accompanies it. More importantly, she offers practical suggestions for anyone trying to reach a goal, particularly a weight-loss goal, and shows how small steps over time make it possible to achieve even a seemingly impossible dream.'

I had tears just after a few pages, but once the tears dry up you are left with an amazing story of the journey of an ever inspiring woman. 

9 comments:

Liseee said...

I read this book 3 years ago and loved it.. it was vey inspiring...

Anonymous said...

ELLE SAYS:
Yes, I started reading it once at the prebbles house when Bek was getting ready for something, I only got to the second page, but it seemed pretty good. I haven't been back since to read anymore.. LOL.. but maybe I will have to go and ask to borrow the book..

ELLE

Nikki said...

There's nothing better than an inspiring book...I'm excited Bek has it (thanks for the info Elle!!). Sounds like a good read.

Gail Challis said...

I am going on to the library site now to order it. Sounds just like what I need to inspire me to get out and do!!!
Thanks for the review.

Gail Challis said...

Poppa and I hope the girls are enjoying the additions to our blog site. I put a new pic of Poppa at the front. I take my camera everywhere with me now so I can be reminded to capture things we are doing so they know what we are up to.

Kate Jury said...

sounds like a great book. I will have to get a copy. I love inspiring books.

Carli said...

Wish you were next door so I could borrow it - next time I do an order I'll get it.

lauracritchfield said...

when i come to London to see you maybe I can read the book and you can look after Kobe....actually Elle will be there so she can look after Kobe. I wanted a good book on the plane cause I finished the one I was reading on the way there...bummer

Aimee said...

i remember mum telling me about this book...must borrow it, unless elle gets to it first ;)
glad you got to relax with a good book for your first time without the girls. a well deserved break for you, i'm sure.

Because everyday is different and we can't remember them all, I thought I had better start writing them down. Welcome to life in the Challis home - where everyday is different!