Monday 4 May 2009

Don't mention the war... I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it alright!

The weather really is warming up, we still get a few odd cold days here and there but other than that it's near perfect weather for sight seeing. We were very lucky on the day we headed down to 'The English Riviera', which is situated on the South Devon coastline, as it was just a gorgeous day and the girls desperately wanted to go to the beach - so that's what we did. Our plans were to try and see all of the English Riviera, which consists of 3 main towns all in Torbay - Torquay, Paignton and Brixham. But because it was such a beautiful day we spent most of our time at Torquay and just drove though the others. 

As you will see, Torquay is a bit of a holiday town and is one of the UK's top holiday destinations. Torquay is a place to relax, to soak up the atmosphere and to take in the scenery. 




The town is built up on a bit of a cliff - this was the first thing I noticed here. The different heights and levels and views make it so much more wonderful, and the apartments built into the sides of the hill really give it that holiday home feeling.



There are lots of things to do here and heaps of attractions. We tried to keep it as much of a relaxing day as possible so we didn't really partake in any of these activities - but it was great to see so much going on. This is the HiFlyer Balloon which ascends to approximately 400ft allowing a 360 degree birds eye view across the whole of Torbay. The balloon is attached to the ground by a big rope of some sort, which makes it environmentally friendly, non polluting, and silent in operation.





We sat on Torre Abbey Sands beach for a while and enjoyed the sun. The sand was very different to our beautiful, soft white sand in Australia but it didn't seem to bother the kids. It's only after seeing this red, wet, heavy sand type stuff that you truly appreciate Australia's coastlines. 






It was a lovely place to be and we felt very lucky to be enjoying it on such a perfect day - could have spent all day there really, but had to get moving after a while!






Most of the beaches I have seen have these concrete steps built onto them - probably because the sand doesn't look all that 'sit-able' and sometimes it's not even sand but pebble, rock or shingle (what ever that is)!!! But along the 22 miles of English Riviera coastline there are 20 beaches and coves, some are wide, sandy beaches, others smaller and secluded.  




The HiFlyer taking off!



Leilani and Emily found a secret garden - this is Emily saying 'come on' which we hear oh so often!





And right next to the secret garden and just inward from the beach are these beautiful tulips under the palm trees. Seems quite a strange mix in some ways - but we have seen it quite a few times. As I have said before I'm sure, I am just amazed at how well they they look after their town gardens and floral displays - it makes such a difference. 








I didn't come with a very big list of things I wanted to see whilst here in England - the list has really only evolved since getting here. But one thing I said I did want to see was the Fawlty Towers Hotel at Torquay!! (Which wasn't actually at Torquay, but rather filmed in Buckinghamshire). Yes, very strange thing for me to want to see I know... but I thought it would just be so so so cool to have my photo taken outside the FARTY TOWELS sign!? It would be great. We love Fawlty Towers and it cracks me up just thinking about some of the episodes. 
Well... imagine my disappointment when I got here and googled 'Fawlty Towers' only to be told the building actually burnt down in 1991! (Major sob) 

I was glad that although I didn't get to see my Fawlty Towers film location, Torquay, which is where the show is set, and where the hotel that inspired John Cleese to write the story is found, was a great place to visit! 

Basil on the phone to Sybil, his wife - "Yes, yes, I picked it up... Yes... No, no, I haven't had a chance yet... Yes I will... Yes... No, I haven't yet, but I will... Yes, yes, yes, I know it is... Yes. I'll try and get it cleared up... Anything else? I mean would you like the hotel moved a bit to the left?"

Mr H: "Could you make me a Waldorf Salad?"
Basil: "Oh... a... Wa...?"
Mr H: "Waldorf Salad."
Basil: "I think we're just out of Waldorfs."

And lastly - an all time classic!
Basil to Manuel (after mentioning 'the war' several times in front of some German guests and upsetting them): - "Don't mention the war. I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it alright."

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Love the Emily saying "come on". Looks like the gardens are beautiful but I must say the Beach pics arn't my idea of what England is all about.
Pity about Fawlty Towers not being there but then again you might not have gone there if you knew it wasn't there.

Elle said...

Looks like fun! Emi and Lani look like the enjoyed the beach. Glad the weather is beginning to warm up and you can get out and go to the beach and stuff!! WOO!

maree said...

THe garden looks beautiful. Just imagine having that in your backyard!! Enjoyed this visit and seeing some more sights of England.

Poppa said...

I didn't appreciate the beaches were better than the shingles and stones we saw at Brighton! Wow!
Love the gardens and the girls exploring them too. Somewhere else you'll have to drag us to, screaming, , , Not. (What taste you have!! Basil is a class act.)

Because everyday is different and we can't remember them all, I thought I had better start writing them down. Welcome to life in the Challis home - where everyday is different!