Friday 27 June 2008

A Quiet Night In... Or Was It?!

Last Sunday Mick and I attended a meeting out at church where Lindy Prebble read this awesome story to us, it's called 'A Quiet Night In'. Not sure if you have read it before or not - but next time you are in the library, have a look for it. It's about the Large Family, a family of elephants who seem to have some very familiar things happen to them!  
A Quiet Night In 
There are so many things you could get out of this story - and it was really funny, but for me, the biggest thing was that 'sometimes our days just don't turn out as planned'. I feel like I really needed to be reminded of this! No matter how organised we are, how much we want it and how much we plan for it - sometimes things just don't happen like we want them to. This has been on my mind all week - especially because this week has been one of those weeks! 
On Monday I was feeling really quite good, refreshed from having some time away and ready to take on the next few weeks leading up to Micks exam. Tuesday comes and I'm off to the gym... well to the car park! Mum and I get out and I move sleeping Emily from the car to the pram - and this is where it all begins!!! 
Emily vomited everywhere - it was really quite gross and I was dry reaching from the smell!! So off I go back home only to spend the rest of my day cleaning up sick and washing loads of clothes and towels. Wednesday night comes and I'm looking forward to Thursday, getting out of the house for a while, and what do you know - from about 1.30am I'm up every hour or so chucking my guts up! I thought I was going to die! I was so bad all day Thursday I could hardly move, so Mick had to take the day off work to look after the girls. I spent the day, which I was grateful for, in bed - however it was no restful day - my body was aching all over and the trips to the bathroom seemed endless!! On the other hand the girls had a very special day - getting to spend the whole day with their dad, Leilani loved it! And Mick did make me feel special when he said 'I don't know how you ever get anything done!' He is always appreciative of what I do - but it is nice to see them sweat the day out on their own and then come and tell you how wonderful you are for doing this everyday! (We are talking the whole day too - breakfast through to bedtime - none of this 9-5 stuff!) You did a great job Mick - and you did have me to look after too, so I will give you that!! (I will have to post pictures later of the girls day with their dad - at one stage, Mick says to me 'We built a cubby, and you have probably never seen the lounge room look like this before!" I thought it best that I didn't see!) Anyway... back to my story... so Thursday night I'm still not feeling that great, but much better considering, until 12.30pm when Lani wakes up crying - I hear the door open, take one look at her and grab the bucket next to me just in time to catch what is coming out of her mouth!! She ended up sleeping in with me, as she spent the next couple of hours vomiting. The poor thing, you could tell she was in a lot of pain as every time she was being sick she would cry "I want some panadol! I want some medicine" and believe me, she doesn't normally ask for it!! If only there was some medicine for that! Today wasn't too bad - Leilani woke up at 7.30 and ripped the towel off her pillow and said in a very happy voice "I'm not sick anymore"! The day was of course spent at home with a sore tummy, rather than hitting the craft fair with Nikki - who was actually really sick as well, so we cancelled on each other! So I guess it kinda sucked, but even though it's Friday and I have done nothing at all this week, I'm reminded that life just doesn't always work out the way you plan it. I think it's important to plan and set goals and know where you are heading in life and what you want to achieve, but it's also important to take each day as it comes and be ready to deal with whatever life throws at you. Tonight, I'm just grateful that I have the strength to sit up and do some blogging! 
P.S Very sorry to our special visitors on Thursday - Jac, Ange, Will & Meea - who got turned away at the door!  

11 comments:

Kate Jury said...

I know all about the unplanned!!!! i had 5 days off work this week and i had my whole week planned and Ethan got the vomiting thing which only today has cleared up!!!
hope you are feeling better

Anonymous said...

Hannah! that is horrible. i hope you are all feeling better and lets hope Mick doesnt get it befor ehis exam. take care

Nikki said...

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Hopefully I'll see you soon!! xx

Debbie said...

the funniest thing about that was turning your visitors away.. LOL>. - it cracked me up coz I just imagined you standing there in your j's going - don't come in here!

When Lani vomited at night - i am glad that is the night we didn't have the sleep over here ... and it was probably best if you didn't see the house that mick built (the cubby in the lounge room)!!

Elle NOT Debbie...

Debbie said...

the funniest thing about that was turning your visitors away.. LOL>. - it cracked me up coz I just imagined you standing there in your j's going - don't come in here!

When Lani vomited at night - i am glad that is the night we didn't have the sleep over here ... and it was probably best if you didn't see the house that mick built (the cubby in the lounge room)!!

Elle NOT Debbie...

The Kings said...

What a sucky week! Glad that Mick was able to stay home and help out, and that you are feeling better now. It's always good for the Dad's to see how much we do :)

Claire said...

Couldn't the doctor do anything!???!!! What use is he then!

I guess he did help by entertaining the girls. Good job Mick!

Sooooo.... did you get a 'sick' bead for your pandora? Or would you rather not remeber that??? :)

Jaclyn Quarrier said...

Hey there Han
So glad to hear you are feeling better. Lani looked so sad when Mick said you were sick and we were like ok, see ya later. We will have to have a play soon. Hope Mick didnt pass on the germs, I am so sick of sick children. xx

Ange Harriss said...

Well Han I took a sick day at work and PRETENDED i was sick just to visit you!! and then you were sick! Glad you are feeling better now. I had to eat my macca's in the car coz Mick told us to leave! haha you probably didn't want to the smell of macca's wafting up to the bedroom! hehe

Ange Harriss said...

Well Han I took a sick day at work and PRETENDED i was sick just to visit you!! and then you were sick! Glad you are feeling better now. I had to eat my macca's in the car coz Mick told us to leave! haha you probably didn't want to the smell of macca's wafting up to the bedroom! hehe

Chelsea Parsons said...

yuck! that was us a few weeks back too. Mick didnt get it?

Because everyday is different and we can't remember them all, I thought I had better start writing them down. Welcome to life in the Challis home - where everyday is different!