Tuesday 1 July 2008

Books

I was never a big fan of reading, I didn't not like it, but if someone asked me if I was a 'reader' the answer would have to have been no. I think I just never choose the right books, until... about 5-6 years ago when Mum got me reading the 'Children of the Promise' series. If you are after a good book start reading them - I Loved them and they still remain one of my favourites (I am quite keen on reading LDS novels) ever. I became one of those people that read on the train and in their lunch break - not because I was bored but because I just had to keep reading! From then on I became 'a reader' and was always in search of a good book. Well it's now been about 2 years since I have read a book like that. I just haven't had the time and have chosen to spend my little 'free time' doing other things. But lately I have been reading a lot of Carli's Reviews and felt that real hunger to start reading again, but hadn't done anything about it until now. While we were in Adelaide we spent some time in the Virgin Music store because we had a gift voucher from Christmas which we hadn't been able to use yet because we don't have a Myer Virgin Music store here in Hobart anymore. So I came across  
The Jane Austen Book Club 
'The Jane Austin Book Club' dvd and decided  that would be my choice because as ashamed as I am to admitted it, I have never actually read any of Jane Austin's books. (I can now hear lots of "WHAT's") I know - shameful isn't it! After watching the movie, which I enjoyed but found that I probably didn't understand a lot of what was going on because I haven't read the books, I have decided to start reading them! I'm starting with the all time classic 'Pride & Prejudice' (which again I will admit, I haven't even seen the movie... I know, it's very sad!) Well, can I just say that READING IS A BAD IDEA!!!! Why anyone would ever want to read a book is beyond me.... I can't put the flaming thing down!! It's on my mind ALL the time! I can't stand it!! Well, I love it, I love the excitement of wanting to get back to your book to see what happens but it is so annoying and so hard when you are meant to be doing the ironing and your husband comes home to dirty clothes and a messy house to find you laying around READING!! "Sorry!!" I say with a cheeky grin! What more to say but books, books, books!!!
Oh... I am nearly finished Pride & Prejudice (only started a few days ago) in hopes that I might get the DVD for my birthday!! (wink wink)

5 comments:

maree said...

I know what it's like when your reading a good book. I get up through the night and read. Denis wont let me read in bed so I have to go into the lounge room. Sometimes I'll be reading at 3.00a.m..I'm reading a good one now.

Ange Harriss said...

That's so funny Han! Well I used to read all the time at school and now I never do - I have to have a good book and KNOW that it's a good book before I can start reading it! So maybe I should read the ones you have read if you think they are so good! haha

Gail Challis said...

Welcome to the Jane Austen Fan club. I just love her books and movies. I have already worn out my video of Pride and Prejudice. Colin Firth as Darcy was just the best. I like the new version as well. Philip just laughed and laughed as he read your description of reading. I think he thinks I read too much....but I just love a good book and a cosy couch. Keep going!!!

The Kings said...

I used to love reading as a teenager, but somehow lost the desire to read. Now I just don't have much time to sit down and read and if I did have time I find it hard to just sit and relax. I would love to have the reading bug back though as I remember how good it was when you couldn't put a book down.

Carli said...

I'm all with you! I love it when Winston works late into the night - the kids fall asleep in my bed as I read (and they're allowed to play quietly!). Glad you like my reviews - sometimes I just want to skip over that part but it makes me put everything into perspective and analyse it.

Because everyday is different and we can't remember them all, I thought I had better start writing them down. Welcome to life in the Challis home - where everyday is different!