Sunday 15 February 2009

Shops in the Town Centre

Here are a few pictures of the town. This is North Street, which starts as Bridge Street and then changes to North Street and then into Fore Street and then East Street which changes to East Reach Street. Confused? Yeah, well so are we!!! And to make things even worse everyone calls this street 'The High Street' meaning 'The Main Street'. Which is really really confusing because there actually IS a High street which comes off Fore Street!!!!! 




I have only had a chance to visit a few shops here, most have been pretty good. There are lots of sales on at the moment and some are because the shop is closing down. Taunton has had quite a few closures due to the recession. They lost Woolworths about a month ago which was a big department store like Big W/Kmart which has been around for years so everyone was quite sad to see it go. I think towns look horrible with big empty shops, but I guess there is nothing they can do. I was very shocked to go into the Post Office the other day and see nothing but the counter! It's still open and there are still people lined up to go in, but there is nothing to buy once you get in there - it's pretty much hand over your letter and pay for postage and that's it. I couldn't even buy an envelope! It was a bit of a shock really, and makes you think!



This is Debenhams, its pretty much like Myer but not quite as big. There is a nice cafe in there where I saw the whole 'peas served with everything'  for the first time. Cottage Pie and Peas, Burger, fries and peas.... there were about 5 main dishes and all were served with peas (for lunch!!!) So Mum, it is true - they do serve everything with peas here! I have been looking for a nice hot chocolate since being here, and haven't found one yet. They all seem really strong.... and are really dark brown in colour. I don't go much on them at all. Mick thinks they're great so I think I must just like a very weak hot chocolate!  


All these names of shops that I have no idea what they are.... I find it so intriguing and can't wait to find out what sort of things they sell in there. When I first saw 'Poundland' I thought it must  be like an animal shop - cheap dog food, stuff like that. Then I thought maybe it was like linen and stuff (don't really know why). I finally went in the other day and was quite surprised to find out it's actually like a 2 dollar shop!! Everything is 1 pound!!! Hence the name Poundland!! Which didn't even cross my mind!!! Its good though because everything IS actually 1 pound, nothing is over!! Makes adding up how much you have spent quite easy... for some!!



I think Aunty Maree asked what are the prices like? Very confusing is the answer! They seem to be a lot like home actually. Some things are cheap and some not so cheap. Most of the sale prices seem pretty good but by the time you go through the 5 stages you are usually over it and can't be bothered with it anymore!

I'll tell you about the 5 stages...

1. You see it and think.... what a bargain I should buy 3 of those....
2. You remember the price is in pounds and not dollars...
3. You convert it by doubling the price and adding a bit more (about another 1/2)...
4. You then try and work out if you were in Australia using dollars would that be good price...
5. You then try and remember what it was you were even looking at, get sick of it and walk off!!

So it's all a little hard. Things seem really cheap at first, you can get lunch for like 3 pounds (including a drink) which you think is fantastic, but obviously it's not because it's really cost you $7.50!! 
The currency here is really nice though, the 2 pound coin would probably be my favourite! It's gold and silver. It's easy to work them out too, unlike America with its quarters, nickels and dimes!!!  You just have to remember they are pounds and not dollars! 

6 comments:

Gail Challis said...

The road system is definitely strange...makes following a map difficult...at least that is what we found. The 5 step thing made us laugh as it just what we were doing when we were there!!!! Take care, Gail

Claire said...

Sounds exciting Han. Can't believe that street changes so many times...!! Emily looks really cute asleep in the pram.

Debbie said...

hmm.. I am still trying to work out the street, let alone the 5 steps.. as for pound land, I thought thats were people would take their dogs.... as for convenrting things over to Aus $$ I wouldn't bother - if you like it, buy it, if you don't - why are you even looking at it???

Elle

maree said...

Great blogging Its nearly as good hearing about as it would be being there. Sounds like you having fun.

The Kings said...

First of all I think Elle needs to get her own blogger account as she is always pretending to be your Mum! ;)
I was laughing at the 5 stages. Keep up the blogging - its so interesting hearing what you are up to and all the differences there.

Chelsea Parsons said...

I know what its like to be converting all the time. Ive done Falkland Island Pounds, American dollars, pounds, Euros..... Even after 5 yrs in the US I still found myself converting it to Aussie dollars

Because everyday is different and we can't remember them all, I thought I had better start writing them down. Welcome to life in the Challis home - where everyday is different!