Wednesday 25 February 2009

So Much To See In Bath

It doesn't happen very often, but when it does it's FANTASTIC!! Mick had to work the night shift last Thursday night, which meant he would spend the best part of Friday asleep. But not this time.... he managed to sleep for pretty much the whole night!! So when he got home Friday morning he said 'get ready we're going out'.... and where did we go??? None other than the world famous BATH!!!



Luckily Bath is only an hour and a half away because we will be going back there a few times!! There is so much to see, and as you know, you can only do so much in one day with kids!! Bath is probably the place I have wanted to go to the most so I was very excited to be there... the question was 'which way to go first?'



I guess I really wanted to see the Royal Crescent the most, so that's where we thought we would start. I was a little disappointed it didn't look like it does in Jane Austen's Persuasion!!! (With all the people roaming the streets in smart attire from the 18th century!) So I had to use my imagination here!! And I did get a glimpse of what it would be like living in the 18th century when we went into No. 1 Royal Crescent, where the Duke of York probably lived. It was fully furnished and had a guide in every room to tell you about life as an aristocrat!



We weren't allowed to take photos inside but it was very cool. I'm glad that we have a little more 'freedom' shall we say than those living during this time, but I do like the idea of living with a bit more order and respect. No one really seems to care and value anything much anymore. 





And here it is... the Royal Crescent!!



I was pretty excited....



... and so were the kids!!







Royal Crescent is hailed the most majestic street in Britain, this graceful arc of 30 houses (1767-74) is the masterpiece of John Wood the Younger. (From Eyewitness Travel -  Great Britain)


... more of Bath to come!

6 comments:

maree said...

Looks fantastic. Wish all the Mammoths could come and sight see with you. England wouldnt know what happened if we did.

Debbie said...

So does anyone live there these days or what do they use it for?

Ange Carmichael said...

Great photos guys - Awesome that you are getting out and about already, keep it going Mick who needs sleep anyway, most anaestheists can do it with their eyes shut, right??!! So much to see and do...

The Kings said...

Awesome!!! Looks freezing though :)

Nikki said...

What a fantastic time you're having!! So much to see and do. Your days must be jam packed!
I LOVE your hat too. You look beautiful. xx

Carli said...

WOW - Bath is awesome! I love that you guys are already checking everything out so when it comes time to go home there will be nothing you haven't done!

Because everyday is different and we can't remember them all, I thought I had better start writing them down. Welcome to life in the Challis home - where everyday is different!