Thursday 22 January 2009

Auckland to LAX on a Boeing 747

As you can imagine, this flight was long! (12 hours). The girls were really really good though. They watched T.V for a while, read some books and played with their dolls. The food was good and the kids were given kids meals and little packs with some activities to do. They got into their Pj's and went to sleep pretty easily at about 11.30pm and slept to about 6am. They ended up taking over my seat (with their legs) and at about 3am I felt the need to get horizontal so I ended up on the floor in front of our seat. I didn't get much slept but it wasn't to bad, I was just excited because earlier on I found the best thing EVER to watch on the telly.... 6 brand new episodes of Brothers and Sisters!! I was so so excited!!!!  It was awesome & kept me entertained for quite a while! The kids woke up and had a bit more of a play and then they served breakfast. At about 8am I was ready to get off... but we still had 2 hours to go. The kids were so good though and we couldn't really complain. A few of the people around us commented on how good they were too so it was nice! 


The worst part was probably going through customs again, Emily was a bit grumpy at this stage and wanted to get out in some fresh air. It didn't take us too long though and we were on our way. We collected our bags and headed for South West check-in. LAX wasn't all that crash hot - it was kinda old and dirty and not really what I had expected. We didn't really see anything of LA as we checked our bags straight on to our next flight and then headed through security, where you had to take your shoes and coats off, show ID and a boarding pass and put all liquids on the scanner.

The girls enjoying the fresh air on our walk from one terminal to the other. 

We had quite a few hours to wait until our South West flight left for Denver, we grabbed something to eat and a little look around before we found these seats and stayed there. We were starting to feel very exhausted and the sleep that I never got on the plane was catching up to me. I kinda felt very light headed and a bit dizzy! I had a 30 minute nap while Mick entertained the kids - which soon wore them out because an hour before we had to board they both feel asleep too. 



Boy... did we do a lot on the 22nd January..... that day seemed to go for 48 hours...... oh that's right... it did!!

6 comments:

Debbie said...

Those two look like seasoned travellers - I guess they are!

Ange Carmichael said...

may as well enjoy the movies and the inflight service while you can. looks like you are all having a good trip. can you bring some of the snow back for our kids?

make it perfect said...

So glad your travels have been so far so good! Your girls look adorable sitting in the big plane seats. Hope everything continues to go smoothly and can't wait to hear more of your adventures :) xxx

Ange Harriss said...

I got like that on the plane on our flight coming home.. like really hot and dizzy! It wasn't good!! The kids look so cute in their big chairs! Glad to hear your flight wasn't too bad though! The TV/Movies are awesome though! That is what kept me entertained too! haha

Claire said...

Brothers and Sisters....ohhh! Makes me wanna take a long haul flight just to watch the NEW episodes!!!!!!

lauracritchfield said...

Man you have a lot of photos with Emily sleeping..lol. Your blogging is great. I jumped on the other day to check it out but didn't really have time to read it - but today I did. Yeah southwest is a bit of a crack up really..ha ha

Because everyday is different and we can't remember them all, I thought I had better start writing them down. Welcome to life in the Challis home - where everyday is different!