Wednesday 21 January 2009

Up In The Air We Fly

I started to think that this day was never going to come!! But it did! We left home (Mum & Dad's) at 9.45am this morning, drove past the house for one last look, made a few stops and arrived at Hobart 'International' Airport at 10.45am!!
Lani was VERY excited, especially to have all her cousins there (except Kobe) to say goodbye to her. It was a nice morning, but very sad. I guess a year isn't really all that long, but I'm going to miss everyone so much, especially my mum. As we were walking to the plane, Lani said to me "But why are you sad Mum?" I said, "I'm okay now". She was very good, waving to everyone, calling out "See you when we get back". It was quite cute. 
Emily looked so tiny sitting up in the big aeroplane seat all on her own, and they were both very excited to open the bags Grandma made for them and play with their new dolls. 
The plane ride was actually quite scary. I have never really been scared on a plane before and I don't usually even mind a bit of turbulence, but this was horrible and I have never been so concerned on a plane before or felt so much turbulence. We were rocking around for a good 5-10 minutes on the way up and we hit quite a few air pockets. The kids were really good and it didn't seem to bother them too much, but I was thinking.... I hope it's not like this the whole way! 
Anyway, it finally calmed down for most of the flight and we were all okay, but I nearly thought of getting the next flight straight back home! 

Once arriving in Melbourne, we collected all our bags and headed over to the Hilton to check in. The room is great and so close to the airport! With all our bags we thought it best to not try and catch a bus somewhere and we are so glad because it was an effort just to get here!!! I really don't know how we are going to make it around LAX!!! But anyway, it was nice to collect our 2 bags that Gail and Phil brought over for us last week as I had forgotten what I had packed in them!! We took the girls for a swim in the pool and spent the rest of the afternoon/evening trying to relax for our even bigger day tomorrow!!

At the Hobart Airport, chatting with the cousins..
 

Emily with her Cheese & Biscuits


Emily with her new doll


What a lot of bags.... and there's still 2 more!!

This is the view from our room.... we have all enjoyed watching the planes go up and down.

10 comments:

lauracritchfield said...

You poor buggers having to carry all those bags. lani looks exhausted..lol. If only you could pack one really HUGE bag - it would be great. Yeah good luck in LAX. Also you should just let Mick go get the car at Denver as he has to take a shuttle - you should just sit and wait cause those bags look too hard to much work to me. Good luck though. Can't wait to see you.

Debbie said...

Looks like you got to sit on the "Single" seat AND use the camera.
What an exciting adventure.

Liseee said...

That's a lot of Bags Han.. good luck with that!!!!

Ange Carmichael said...

Happy Flying - thinking of you with fingers (& toes) crossed the girls cope well.
And ah, good luck with those bags, I only wheeled one and that was enough for me ;) xx.

Bride said...

Can't believe as busy as you have been you have still kept us updated with your blog!
Thanks, always love reading it.
Good luck with your little adventure x

Elle said...

ummm good luck with that. I am sure Lani and Emily LOVED the first flight! Lani looks so buggered sitting on all those bags.. ha ha

Jaclyn Quarrier said...

Han you put the Melbourne shopping trip to shame!!!!!!!!!! I knew you were going to have a few bags but not that many, that is soooo funny. Have fun and give little Kobe a cuddle for us!!!!

The Kings said...

Oh wow - I've been away for a week and come back and you guys have gone!!! Good luck on your trip and adventure. I hope it is all you hope it to be and more.

Nikki said...

I had to laugh at the luggage photo! You poor things. Hope it wasn't too much of a struggle!!!
I keep checking for the next post...how did the girls go on the long flight??
Hope all is going great. xx

Stephen and Chernoa said...

OHHHHH Han that sucks a little:) Alot of bags there! Same with Nik, Cant wait to see the next post. im going to miss you guys heaps. BUT i cant wait to follow your journey on here:) So dont be slack..hahahaha:)

Because everyday is different and we can't remember them all, I thought I had better start writing them down. Welcome to life in the Challis home - where everyday is different!