Tuesday 17 March 2009

Challis' Struck Down By Killer Virus

It all started last Thursday evening (5th March) when Emily woke up around 11pm vomiting. I ended up sleeping on her floor as she was up a few more times that night. Usually 'gastro' in kids comes and goes pretty quickly but this one was hanging around. Emily was unwell for the next 4 days.... she pretty much slept for the first 3 days and when she wasn't sleeping we were changing her nappy. Had one night where she called out about every hour 'Mummy... I did poos'. On the Sunday night Lani called out just in time for me to get there with a bucket to catch her first round.... so I spent another night on the floor! Lani was sick for the next 5 days.... doing nothing but laying on the couch - she hardly even spoke. I was actually starting to become quite worried. Mick stayed home from work on Tuesday because he had caught the cold which the girls and I had over the weekend and pretty much lost his voice. Luckily I was feeling quite good on Tuesday - was nearly over my cold -  so I got to go out for a walk. Little did I know it would be the last time I would see daylight for the next 5 days. Wednesday brought the Gastro my way, so Mick had to take the day off again...not that he was much better anyway. I could hardly get off the couch - I just felt sick all the time and stayed that way until Saturday night. Boy was I glad when Saturday came.... it was Leilani's first day of feeling better so Mick was able to take them to the park and let me rest up a bit (not only from being sick myself, but 2 little girls that have been sick themselves and done pretty much nothing for a whole week can be quite demanding!) Sunday morning I was very pleased to say that the house woke with no sick people.  We all still have this terrible cough and bit of a runny nose... but the sick bucket was put away and we all actually left the house....together!!!!!

I can't believe I made it through it alive actually, it was really quite tough. Mick was fantastic. Even though he felt pretty ordinary himself for most of the week he still took care of everything with no complaining. It makes you feel pretty hopeless laying around on the couch in a messy house not even being able to help bath the kids. Not much got eaten for the whole week... but when it was, Mick took care of it all.... so glad that guy knows how to look after himself!!! (Even though I like to think he wouldn't survive without me!!) 

I don't think we have ever been sick like this before... guess it's all these new germs we haven't seen, but even when we have been sick before we have always had Grandma to go and visit and take care of us. Don't know why, but the only meal I ever feel like eating after being sick is Mum's Baked Dinner! So Leilani & Emily weren't the only ones crying out for their Mum  this week!!!

There really wasn't anything other than this to take a photo of this week... quite sad really!!


9 comments:

Debbie said...

Poor kids. All of you. Lets hope thats the last of the sickness while you are there.
Might be a good time to get the toilet training going.

lauracritchfield said...

poor buggers

Bride said...

oh you poor things!
That sounds like a horrible week, and even worse not to have family around to help out!
So glad your all feeling much better x

Watson said...

I feel sorry for you all. It lingered around for a long time. You must of all lost a heap of weight. Nothing is really different on the other side of the world! The gastro has been taking people down in droves over here. It must be something to do with the change of season. Glad you are feeling better, and hope it doesn't happen again while you're away.

Debbie said...

laura I love your comment.. lol..
The girls look so pale in the photo - I wish Mick thought to grab the camera and take a pick you as well though.. lol..

Anyway I am glad you are all better now and that you were so far away and didn't give it me :)

ELLE

Claire said...

So sorry for you all!!! Glad to hear you are feeling better. Glad it wasn't you on Sunday (so I couldn't catch it from you!!!)

maree said...

glad your all feeling better. They still look cute eventhough they are very sick.

The Kings said...

Oh you poor things - we know exactly how you were feeling - although we only had the vomiting part for a day and then felt really bad for two days later.
Glad you are all better now.

Bron Williams said...

sorry to hear you were sick
hpe that was the last of that
x

Because everyday is different and we can't remember them all, I thought I had better start writing them down. Welcome to life in the Challis home - where everyday is different!