Tuesday 10 March 2009

England's Smallest City

Wookey Hole is just out of Wells, which is England's smallest city, and home to a very large medieval cathedral. Wells has lots of character but is pretty small - the only reason it is titled as a city is because of the cathedral. We stopped here on the way home for a quick look around.


One of the first things we saw in Wells was this Barber Shop... good way to get attention I guess!


Wells seemed a little bit.... well, what will we say.... boganville like!!! There seemed to be quite a few weirdos around (the most I have seen here), but we won't hold that against Wells now will we - it was just an observation!!  
Just as I had read, Wells Cathedral was magnificent, mainly because of it's size and history I thought. It was built in stages between 1180 and 1508. 




The inside was a little strange to me, glorious in lots of ways and the structure is obviously amazing but I didn't really find it uplifting, maybe because it's a grave site too, and some of the headstones were a little weird, it was really worth seeing but let's just say it left me thinking! 



Check out the organ pipes. They hold concerts here quite regularly and are celebrating 1100 years of Music here this year. 





Wells Cathedral really is huge but is only the centrepiece of a cluster of ecclesiastical buildings dating back to the Middle Ages and beyond. I liked Wells, and the way it has been kept in it's original form. It's a small town and has been kept that way. 


7 comments:

The Kings said...

Wow - that looks incredible.

Debbie said...

1100 years of music is a pretty long time!

emma_williams said...

Oh man, I am dying to go to Wells!! They filmed Hot Fuzz there which is my favourite movie ever.

lauracritchfield said...

that looks nice...I love the fact that England has many old churches and buildings and most of them are amazing

Bride said...

Wow, that's unreal... how beautiful are the buildings, and churches. The little streets are gorgeous...

Carli said...

It looks huge!! Have you got a new camera?? I think these photos are awesome. (Nah we can't hold bogans against a place because there are some pretty cool locations housing bogans :)

Aimee said...

That looks so cool. Must be so fun to explore all the beautiful buildings... and way of life over there.
Dinosaur valley looked like great fun too.

Because everyday is different and we can't remember them all, I thought I had better start writing them down. Welcome to life in the Challis home - where everyday is different!