Tuesday 31 March 2009

Roads Not Made For Cars!

Last Monday Mick was doing the night shift so we took the kids to the swimming pool in the morning so he could have a nap in the arvo before work. We went to the swim centre in Bridgwater and it was really really fun. I like swimming but I hate getting in my bathers, getting changed again, having wet hair and dressing the kids while I'm freezing & wet!! However, it was so worth it! This pool was great, unlike the one in Taunton where we went before. The change rooms were the best I've seen - they were all just little individual locker type things that you go in, and therefore no male and female separate areas.... which was good because Mick could help me dress the kids... and they were even clean and tidy!!!  The pool was great too - kinda like the aquatic centre in Hobart I guess. 

Leilani and Emily both learnt how to float by themselves in their floaties - it was so funny just watching Emily float around by herself saying 'don't touch me'!!! And Lani learnt to swim and tread water all by herself. All very basic stuff I know, but we have never put our kids in floaties before, we always just let them splash around in the kids pools or hold them. So we were very excited. *Update on Lani's swimming lesson last week - She still wasn't too keen on the whole thing, but she did everything they asked her and swam across the whole pool by herself and even laid on her back and jumped in without being caught! She absolutely loves the whole swimming thing - but just hates being in there with strangers I think. She still looked sad for most of it... just hope she might smile some time soon!! 

Anyway, after the swimming we headed back to Taunton via Nether Stowey, a small village up in the hills. (I think they call them mountains here though!!!!! lol) There really aren't many hills around here so it was nice to be up high for a change!

This is a church in Nether Stowey.



And I finally got to take some photos of all the HEDGES!! The roads are just lined with them, the paddocks are divided by them and they are basically just everywhere!! It will be so nice to see them when they are green! 



I love these signs.... they just look so..... real! Check out the names of the villages.... they really are a crack up!! 



This is typical scenery driving from one village to another.... looks very much like autumn, but believe me Spring IS on it's way! The misty kind of look is very typical also, especially when its sunny.... you kinda get a hazy misty thing happening!!




The roads are just SO tight. You have to pull over so a car can pass you ALL the time. We even had to pull over when a motor bike was coming.... most roads fit one car and that's it.... clearly they weren't made for cars!!


2 comments:

Debbie said...

the roads do look interesting. It would be exciting waiting to see what's around the next corner.
Daffodils look nice.

Gail Challis said...

The roads or lanes!!! as we would call them caused lots of laughter when dad and I were there. Sometimes you were so far over the car was leaning up into the bushes. We couldn't believe it at first but got used to it in the end. I love the stone walls all over the fields.

Because everyday is different and we can't remember them all, I thought I had better start writing them down. Welcome to life in the Challis home - where everyday is different!