Tuesday 24 March 2009

Hestercombe Gardens

On Friday the girls and I visited Hestercombe Gardens, which is about a 5 minute drive out the back of Taunton. Hestercombe is made up of three different gardens from 3 centuries (1750-1908). Obviously it's very early spring here, so a lot of the flowers aren't quite out, but it was still beautiful and very very peaceful. I think it would be great to visit here once a month and watch the garden grow and change. It has lots of different walking routes so you would see something different each time, and the kids loved this little, simple play area!




Hestercombe House is an administration centre for the Devon and Somerset fire and rescue centre, so it's not open to the public but sets the scene for the gardens perfectly. 





I love this wall! And want one in my garden, when we have one again - and who knows when that will be!! So Dad... start collecting those rocks buddy!




Which way do I go?




Emily was feeling very photogenic this day.... Lani not so much, hence all the photos of child number 2!


I love the look of this garden... all sorts of things coming up everywhere! 




Counting the steps! Emily is getting very good at counting now, probably because she has a great teacher!


I could spend hours looking at this house... imagining what might have gone on here a few hundred years ago. If only I could go back in time!








After our big walk around the gardens we enjoyed a treat in the cafe. 


Lani couldn't stop laughing at all the icing sugar on Emily's face.... it was pretty funny, cause look at HER face!!



Who does this remind you of?? Yes - Grandad!!




If you want to read about the history of Hestercombe house and gardens check out their website here. It's really quite interesting. 

9 comments:

Debbie said...

Yes you can put that on my itinerery. Girls are growing up. I hope they arn't forgetting us.

ali b said...

wow, shorts on the girls, must be warminmg up! looks like there's lots of nice places to visit. you seem to be enjoying yourself. i'm glad they liked the presents. we'll have to send something else in a few months. what's the food like in the cafes/takeaways anyway? the cupcakes look pretty good!

Claire said...

Gracie is very happy to see some lovely photos of the girls. She thinks it is very funny to see the icing sugar on their faces.

Debbie said...

hahah Lani reminds me of ME in that photo of her eating cake.. lol... I think I will steal that and put it on the side of my blog...

Emi is growing up so much. can't believe it really!

ELLE

maree said...

Would love a walk around that garden. I love the rock wall and have always wanted one in my garden. Maybe I could get one when you?

Gail Challis said...

I love walking in big rambling gardens and some of the stately homes have wonderfully set out gardens. Like Deb, I think this will have to be on our itinerary too!
Tell the girls I loved their card. It arrived today and I love my picture that they drew. Good writing too Leilani and Emily. Love you heaps. Grandma

The Kings said...

Beautiful gardens and love the pics of the girls eating.

lauracritchfield said...

wow so much blogging to read. I don't read it for a few days and then find that you have done a bunch. That Aquarium looks good. I'm a bit sad it's going to be a little cold when we arrive....it looks really nice there at the moment.

lauracritchfield said...

wow so much blogging to read. I don't read it for a few days and then find that you have done a bunch. That Aquarium looks good. I'm a bit sad it's going to be a little cold when we arrive....it looks really nice there at the moment.

Because everyday is different and we can't remember them all, I thought I had better start writing them down. Welcome to life in the Challis home - where everyday is different!