Monday 5 May 2008

Our Last Stop... Tarraleah

Our last stop was probably our nicest stop actually, Tarraleah, like most places on the West Coast has such a calm and peaceful feeling. I wish I had of got a photo of all the houses that line the main street - they are all pretty much exactly the same except for  the painted colours and it looks really cool - and feels a little bit like you are on a movie set! (Well that's how I felt anyway!!) These homes are now part of an elegant wilderness resort, but they were once occupied by hundreds of hydro-electric workers building one of Australia's first hydro-electric schemes.  We didn't stay long enough to spot any of the many Tasmanian wildlife running about but they say that it's quite easy to see platypus, quolls, wallabies, wombats, devils and echidnas here. Some even say the Tasmanian tiger is about! 



This photo is to prove that Leilani is MY daughter!... Yes we both have our eyes closed!





Here we are enjoying Hot Chocolate and the best Chocolate Brownie I have ever had in the cafe at The Lodge at Tarraleah - this place was awesome and looked very high class even though we were in the middle of nowhere! There was obviously no expense spared when renovating this place as it just looks beautiful and the decor felt too nice for a cafe! They also have more than 300 wines for you to try - so we had a blast! (not). If you ever come through this way I recommend you stop in here just to have a look, and if you have a spare few hundred dollars floating around I'm sure the accommodation suites are just superb! They were named one of the best '65 new hotels in the world' and prices start from $445.00 a night - so they must be good! This place reminded me of a dream I use to have to own a boutique B&B. I had sort of forgotten about it - you know how you get carried away in day to day living - but after seeing this place the dream I once had came to life, and I started thinking about it again! Anyway.... just thoughts I guess!


So that brings us to the end of our big weekend (I bet your all glad that's over!) - but not the big week! I still have the shopping trip to blog, so that should be coming up soon! I am really grateful that we had the chance to get away from the house for a night - it's quite a refreshing thing to do and to spend 24hours together as a family was extra special for us. Yes there was lots of driving, but we enjoyed it, the kids were really good and so it was quite relaxing. Leilani had a wonderful time and we hardly even did anything - she will often talk about our little holiday and now says that she 'loves long drives!' Actually I forgot to mention at the start that before we left on the Friday Leilani said our family prayer for us and it was quite a crack up! She said "Thank you for our blessings...Thank you for mummy's primary and lesson (not quite sure where that one came from!) and thank you for our long drive!!!" 
The other funny thing she said was on our way - we were only on the southern Outlet heading into town and she says "Our holiday is really long!" I was thinking - you've got no idea mate, we aren't even nearly there yet!!!! 
Anyway, that was the Challis trip to the West Coast! 

7 comments:

maree said...

I've enjoyed reading about .your trip. It's like I've been with you on your journey.Let's hope Stanley is a much fun.

Hannah Challis said...

I'm glad Aunty Ree! It felt like you were there too!! heheh

Ange Carmichael said...

Oh no poor Leilani has inherited the closed eyes in photos thing too!! Leigh also inherited the disorder and has ruined quite a few photos by having his eyes shut!!

Elle said...

Hannah - I am sorry that Aunty Ree was on your trip with you.. haha
and I am sorry about the inherited disability of the closed eyes - I wondewr if you can get centrelink benefits because of that??

Debbie said...

Well I'm glad I was able to read about your holiday. Its pretty much what Leilani told me happened. Except I think the most exciting thing for her was everyone sleeping in the loungeroom except Emily who got to sleep in the kitchen. And that she got up to get a drink and had a little chat to Emily and then told Mummy and Daddy that Emily is awake.
Oh and the water running down the mountains onto the footpath, that was a hit.

Ange Harriss said...

You did so much in such a little time! Great blogging Han! Kids say the funniest stuff! Can we ask Lani to say the prayer at our next family tea!? haha

lauracritchfield said...

I have spent many hours at Tarraleah. It's a pretty nice place. I think Lani and Emily need to come visit me and their new cousin sometime next year - now that would be a holiday. I will let them sleep in the Kitchen and eat whatever they want.

Because everyday is different and we can't remember them all, I thought I had better start writing them down. Welcome to life in the Challis home - where everyday is different!